Background

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Today history was made

Today, Don't Ask Don't Tell(DADT), the military's policy keeping openly gay members from serving has been repealed. In this article they tell us that the senate voted for the repeal. President Obama is expected to sign the bill next week. The policy will probably not go into effect for several months and this is the point I want to talk about.

To those who aren't really associated with or have any knowledge of the military think "Repeal it! Gays should be able to serve!" And they want it done, like yesterday. And while I understand that and I agree, people don't realize how many things have to change in order for this repeal to happen.

So for all of you who were all about the repeal and wanted it to happen ASAP, I have a question. What's your proposal for the new fraternization policy? How about the barracks, how will those work? Will gays have their own separate barracks or will they still bunk with the same sex? What about training policies? In some classes females aren't accepted, will gays be accepted? How is that fair to females? Same with combat arms MOSes(jobs) females aren't accepted, but will gays be accepted? What about TriCare? Are we going to provide healthcare benefits to the dependents of gay servicemembers? Civil unions are legal in 11 states so there is a possibility that a gay SM may have a spouse. What if they adopted a child? Will they get the same benefits as other dependents?

Just some things to think about for those of you who think things aren't happening fast enough.

My honest opinion is that the biggest issue with implementing it is going to be leadership. Because like when women were first allowed, there are going to be some people who absolutely disagree with the policy and they're going to make it known. Real leaders are going to stand up and do what's right. That's what I intend to do. My Soldiers will be informed of the new policies and know that I will not tolerate any ignorance on the issue.

Changes are coming people, hang on to your britches!

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you, we were talking about it tonight and C brought up a good point. What about the people who were discharged for being gay? Will they be able to clear their record? I hadn't heard anything. Wondering about you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I know, no they will not. They could probably re-enlist but they most likely received a Good Conduct discharge when they were put out. Some will probably try and throw a fit and have it changed because it messes with time in grade and time in service but honestly, they're probably not going to go back and change 13,000+ DD214's that were correct when the policy was in place at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this is repealed are people going to have to openly announce they are gay? Because what is to keep people from sticking to the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" way of life and just not admit to being gay to get the same treatment as heteros?

    Also, I'm not very familiar with this, but by "gays" are they refering to lesbians as well? Because I feel as though women have enough to fight against without sexuality coming into play...

    ReplyDelete
  4. People are not going to be forced to disclose their sexual orientation. If they choose to, they can. Before they could not. And for those that are already in and serving in secrecy, my guess is they'll wait to "come out" until after the policy is actually in place and in effect.

    And yes, by my(or their) use of gays, it's for men and women. I agree we do have enough to fight against without our sexuality coming into play. Hence my points about the parts of the military that are still off limits for females.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post. I was curious to know what people in the military thought about it.

    I follow your blog through Google reader on my iphone, but for some reason it freezes when I try comment. I have to wait until I'm at a regular computer. It's so strange, I can't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thankful that you are willing to teach. I think that is the best next step is to have so much education on it as possible and that may no one can use the excuse of "I didn't know it was derogatory." or whatever. I also think that you bring up some great points and questions, I have my own ideas about how I think they can work, but I don't always have the same line of thinking that military/service members have. Do you think that people will just quickly be open about being gay or do you think that they will stay "underground"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blondie - That's odd. Then again I have no knowledge of Iphones ;)

    Shandie - I think that most will still lay low until the new policy is indeed in effect and they know that there will a) be no reprocussions b) there is protection for them from harassment c) they feel comfortable and ready to come out to their fellow service members.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments!