Background

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy Saint Patrick's Day


Original title right? But I'm going to make this post useful by giving you some facts and history of why we celebrate this day and who Saint Patrick was. 

- Saint Patrick was a pagan, a lot of people were pagans back in the day.
- Later in life he converted to Christianity and become a preacher and missionary for the Catholic church.
- He traveled Ireland ridding towns of the excessive amounts of snakes. This is why Pagans will wear a snake symbol today.
- When he began his mission to spread the word of God, he used the shamrock as a teaching tool. He used the 3 leaf clover to display the Trinity. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. This is why it's a symbol we use today.
- March 17th is the date that Saint Patrick passed away.  We party today to celebrate his life and how he changed so many peoples lives. How he spread the good word of the Lord and helped convert many non-believers into Christians. 
- Wearing green came from a division in religions in Ireland and the colors of the flag.  The Irish Catholics wore green, Protestants wore orange. The non-believers or neutral parties would wear white.

I am part Irish but it's a part of me that I find interesting. My family is Catholic but my immediate family switched to the Lutheran church so I still feel a strong tie to Catholicism(hence why I don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent). 

So there's a little history lesson for you.  Take a second today to remember why we really celebrate today.  Even though really it's just another excuse for Americans to drink(similar to Cinco De Mayo).  Even if you're not Irish he still was a Christian and man of God and that's reason enough to celebrate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!