Background

Monday, January 4, 2010

Flank Steak

Over the holidays Keith and I got some fresh beef from his grandparents. Among this was a flank steak, which I had never cooked before. After watching Alton Brown on Good Eats telling me how to cut it and best way to prepare it, I just needed a good marinade.

The marinade I used was a bit unusual but the flavors played so well off of each other, I really enjoyed it. It was sweet but a bit tangy and full of flavor. Here's the recipe I used found at www.eatingwell.com. I let the marinade sit all day, prepared in the morning and cooked it in the evening, they recommend an hour minimum.

* 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
* 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, crushed
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat



Preparation

1. Whisk coffee, vinegar, oil, sugar, garlic, peppercorns and salt in a glass dish large enough for meat to lie flat. Add steak and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
2. Heat grill to high.
3. Remove steak from marinade. Lightly oil grill rack. Place steak on grill and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain and serve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!