Background

Monday, January 18, 2010

Blackened Tilapia with White Wine and Lemon

Fish is good for you, so we're trying to eat more of it. But honestly, how many ways are there to make fish? I found a fabulous recipe for Tilapia(or any white mild fish)

I found my recipe at www.sparkrecipes.com



8 tilapia fillets (approx. 3-4 oz. each for nutrition info)
dry white wine (Pinot Grigio is great)
lemon wedges
blackened seasoning (made my own)
lemon pepper
seasoned salt (Lawry's w/coarse ground black pepper)
EVOO




Directions


Spray pan with olive oil and generously sprinkle blackened seasoning on bottom of pan where fish will be placed, along with a dash of seasoning salt. Place completely defrosted tilapia fillets with thick side toward middle of the pan, sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning and fry over low heat until almost cooked through (fish is a little pink and translucent on top, but opaque through most of the fillet). Using a metal spatula, scrape all seasonings and fried-on bits along with fillet and flip over. You won't be able to adjust the fish once it hits the pan again, so aim well. Cook approximately 3 more minutes on low-medium heat. Add enough wine to have a bit left over after burning off the alcohol (experiment, a little more or less is okay), poured over top of fish, and step back as the alcohol burns off. Cook until fish flakes easily with fork, add 1/4 of a lemon's juice per 2 fillets, and reserve liquid from pan along with any bits or pieces left. Repeat with remaining fillets, rinsing pan if necessary.


Now, I didn't have any blackened seasoning, so I made my own. I didn't have any thyme but it turned out well. I also went heavy on the cayenne pepper because we like our spice ;) Here's the recipe I used

* 2 teaspoons ground paprika
* 4 teaspoons dried leaf thyme
* 2 teaspoons onion powder
* 2 teaspoons garlic powder
* 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 teaspoons black pepper
* 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to your taste
* 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!